Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Stitch in Time

Wanna hear how I got stitches???

Well, on Friday, I went to play broom hockey for a friend's birthday. I was really excited because I have never played broom hockey before.

I got really into the game. The time spent playing roller hockey with my brothers seemed to lend me an advantage.

Then, a fateful moment came. I reached to scoop the ball out from another player and lost my balance. I fell, landing on my knees and then hitting my chin on the ice. 

I got up and was thinking I would just take a bit of time on the side recovering before going back into the game. Not so.

Turns out I split my chin. My friend, Kathryn, took me to the hospital where I got 9 stitches (4 deep and 5 superficial). We had a blast! We laughed and joked the whole time, listening to Tangled on the way to the ER. Then, we -or rather Kathryn- wrote "Thank you" notes to everyone at the hospital that we came in contact with.

I was thinking about it yesterday and was amazed. If I had landed any other way I could have had a lot worse than just a few stitches. It happened so fast that I don't recall any conscious decision to keep my head up. I just did. Somehow, I knew exactly what to do. 

Even right after it happened, I felt a calm that assured me it was going to be fine. I was able to laugh and take pictures of the wound before the stitches. Feeling kind of like my mom. I feel like she was there, laughing alongside me, protecting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment