Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Lost and Found

I love art. I love the feelings that a mere piece of print or canvas can evoke. I love trying to figure out why the artist chose the subject and medium that he did. Most of all, I love the peace and beauty that can be found and portrayed.

{Now, before you begin to test my knowledge of Da Vinci, Van Gogh, or Alexandros of Antioch, I must admit that I am not the most educated of art critics. I still have much to learn as I collect other people's art and experiment making my own.}

Today, I found a picture that I just had to get.


It is called, "Lost and Found" by Greg Olsen.

Perhaps the purpose was to:
  • Show that Christ cares, no matter why the young man is in his current situation or where he is going.
  • Contrast the Savior's reaction to our own reactions. Do we see others around us as children of God who are loved just as much as us?
  • Say that Christ can be seen in the kindness of others. Could Olsen possibly have envisioned the Savior shining through a caring stranger who stopped to talk to the lonely boy on the bench?

Is there a possibility that all three are valid?

You decide.

That is what I love about art.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Taylor, I'm taking graphic design and we learned that one of the basic principles of art is something called... "lost and found" Basically it's what isn't necessarily drawn, but the eye makes it into an image. Like the bench. The whole bench isn't seen, but the lost parts are found in our mind because there is just enough information for your brain to connect the dots.

    ReplyDelete